Try something new! Our featured spice for the month of October is Pumpkin Spice. You’re welcome to pick up a Spice Club kit beginning Monday October 2nd at 9am. The kit will contain:
- a sample of the spice
- recipe cards
- history of the spice
- a list of cookbooks you can check out from the library
Spice Club kits go fast! Unable to make it in time to grab one of your own? Try out a recipe! The four recipes included in the kit are linked below.
Pumpkin Spice Quick Facts
- Pumpkin spice is made up of a blend of spices. Today’s blend is typically made of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- The blend we know and love (or love to hate!) is credited as being more than 220 years old! It is found in a 1798 reprint of Amelia Simmons’ cookbook American Cookery in two different versions of “pumpkin” pie: one made with nutmeg and ginger, and another made with allspice and ginger.
- In the 1930s, companies like McCormick & Company invented a revolutionary Pumpkin Pie Spice blend, which meant that bakers only had to purchase one spice rather than four!
- It’s unclear who the first person to create the pumpkin spice latte was, but Peter Dukes is credited with bringing the idea to Starbucks. It’s now a seasonal menu item that is available around the world and is one of Starbucks’ most popular seasonal beverages of all time
Questions about Spice Club? Contact Ashley at 315-785-7714 or send her an email.