Welcome! Thank you for your interest in the Battle of the Books. We are excited to have you join the competition.
The Battles are more than just reading and answering questions - they are a great way for you to check out some books you might not have seen before, to meet new kids, and the stay connected with your library. We encourage you to form a team and start reading!
Here you will find all of the information you need for competition such as a title list, important date reminders, rules of play, and much more!
Let the Battles Begin! - Ms. Ashley & Ms. Meghin
You can use the guide below to locate a book on the 2018 list at our library.
|All the Answers by Kate Messner||Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea|
|The Best Man by Richard Peck||Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly|
|The Cat Who Came in off the Roof by Annie M.G. Schmidt||Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede|
|Finding Someplace by Denise Lewis Patrick||The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander|
|Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom by Booki Vivat||Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier|
|The Goldfish Boy by Lisa Thompson||The Janitor's Boy by Andrew Clements|
|Jinx by Sage Blackwood||Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli|
|Like Magic by Elaine Vickers||Maybe a Fox by Kathi Appelt and Alison McGhee|
|Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures by Jackson Pearce and Maggie Stiefvater||Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan|
|Treasure Hunters by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein||The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White|
Important dates for the 2018 competition include:
- Registration - the month of March
- Teams must register at Flower Library with Ms. Ashley or Ms. Meghin during the month of March.
- A copy of the registration form is available here.
- Tip Workshop - Thursday, April 5th @ 6pm-6:45pm
- Need some help figuring out what to do after reading? Have any last minute questions you need answered? Join other teams for a workshop at the library. Be prepared - we will hold a mock Battle.
- This event is not mandatory.
- Meet the Teams Event - Tuesday, April 10th @ 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Join other participants for some food, fun, and decorating! Meet your competition and discuss titles and upcoming Battles. Bring your t-shirts and poster board to decorate for your team. All other craft materials will be provided.
- Please sign up for this event!
- This event is not mandatory.
- Local Battle - Saturday, April 14th @ TBD
- The local competition begins! Will your team survive? All teams must be present on this date. Warning: plan to spend a fun-filled day at your library!
- Top Three Movie Party - TBD
- Only the top three teams and their coaches allowed! Teams will vote to decide the movie shown and the best day for viewing. Snacks will be provided.
- Regional Battle - Saturday, May 5th @ TBD
- Only the first place team from Flower Library will continue on to Battle against other first place teams from around the North Country. The Battles will take place in Gouverneur. More information will follow at a later date.
When you visit the library you will find copies of the following available on the Children's desk:
- Title list
- Title bookmark (please note: this file is formatted to print double sided)
- Student Toolkit (please note: this file is formatted to print on 11x17 paper)
- Coach's Toolkit
- Tip brochure (available only after the Tip Workshop)
Please contact Ms. Ashley or Ms. Meghin with any questions you might have. We are happy to help!
- Phone (for both Librarians): 315-785-7709
- Email (for Ms. Ashley): email@example.com
- Email (for Ms. Meghin): firstname.lastname@example.org